Face-Covering Policy Frequently Asked Questions

Updated June 10, 2020, 8:08 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions About the Face-Covering Policy

Dartmouth has adopted a face-covering policy for all Dartmouth worksites to protect the health and safety of the Dartmouth community. Here is the full policy on face coverings.

Who is required to wear face coverings under the policy?

All persons, including but not limited to, all employees (faculty, staff, researchers, trainees, post-docs, visiting scholars, student employees), third-party business entities, visitors, and students, authorized to enter any Dartmouth worksite are expected to adhere to the face coverings policy.

If I wear a face covering, can I work on-site if I choose?

Working on-site needs to be approved through a departmental plan, prioritized, and approved by divisional and institutional leadership. Please discuss expectations for where you are expected to perform your work with your supervisor. Nothing in this policy authorizes a return to on-site work by any person or creates or expands rights of access.

I work for Dartmouth in a building or site that is not owned by Dartmouth. Does this apply to me?

Yes. If you are working for Dartmouth outside of your home, the location you report to is considered a Dartmouth worksite for the purposes of this policy, regardless of what entity owns the facility.

Why is it necessary for me to wear a face covering if I'm not concerned about contracting the virus?

Even when physical distancing can be maintained, a cloth face covering is required as an additional public health measure to help prevent the spread of the virus from a person who may be carrying the virus but does not have symptoms. Helping to prevent the spread of the virus is a shared community responsibility.

Where can I get a face covering?

Face coverings are available for personal purchase in stores and online. Face covering do's and don'ts and instructions on how to make your own cloth face covering are available on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Will Dartmouth supply me with a face covering?

Dartmouth will provide cloth face coverings for anyone in need; employees should let their supervisor know if they need a face covering. Departments can order face coverings for their employees through Central Stores once they have had a return-to-on-site-work plan approved through their division and have completed their campus services consultation. Because face covering supplies may be limited, departments with approved return to on-site work plans will be prioritized for the number of face coverings needed to support the on-site workforce.

Do I have to wear a face covering everywhere?

All persons are always expected to wear cloth face coverings when using or accessing shared or communal spaces at any Dartmouth worksite and also when a minimum of 6 feet of physical distancing is difficult to maintain.

Examples of when cloth face coverings are required include:

  • When entering or exiting buildings
  • When traveling in a vehicle with another person on Dartmouth business
  • When using or traveling through any common areas and shared spaces in buildings, even if another person is not immediately visible or present in the space at that time:
    • Restrooms
    • Kitchens and kitchenettes
    • Break rooms
    • Elevators
    • Conference rooms
    • Libraries
    • Hallways and corridors
    • Shared workspaces and offices
    • Private offices when more than one person is present
    • Classrooms
    • Laboratories where more than one person may be present, including access to:
      • Core facilities
      • Shared equipment rooms
      • Laboratory space assigned to or shared with other research groups
      • Enclosed single laboratories, if more than one person is scheduled to be present

What do I do when I am eating or drinking?

A face covering is not required when working in a private and enclosed office or laboratory space that is not shared with any other individual. Otherwise, a face covering is not required when eating or drinking in a common dining area or break room that has been designated and approved for employee breaks with physical distancing protocols marked and observed.

What if I have a medical condition that limits my ability to wear a face covering?

Employees who have concerns about adhering to this policy for medical reasons are encouraged to contact the ADA coordinator in the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity to discuss possible accommodations.

What if I see another person not wearing a face covering in a space where they should be?

Reports of any violations of the face covering policy may be made to an administrator in the facility or building, an employee's supervising department or division's administrative office, or to the Office of Human Resources.

How long will the policy be in effect?

The policy will be in effect until further notice.