Posting of COVID-19-Related Expenses
Activity/Subactivity Combinations for Transactions Related to COVID-19:
- 766007-Extraordinary Circumstances, 1004-Coronavirus; to be used for student-related expenses
- 346202-Emergency Operations, 1004-Coronavirus; to be used for all other expenses
These values should only be used for incremental costs or refunds of revenue that are unique to coronavirus preparation, mitigation or other activities or actions that have been approved by the Dartmouth COVID-19 Task Force or one of the related working groups. Examples include costs related to quarantine that would not otherwise have been incurred, extraordinary costs related to student travel, and refunds in revenues including tuition, and room and board (including any related reduction of scholarship). These activity/subactivity values should be used with the relevant department's org value and funding value.
These values should not be used for expenses such as travel that has been canceled or expenses related to on-campus activities that have been canceled or postponed (which may or may not have lost revenue associated with them). These are costs that are incurred in the normal course of a department's operations and should be charged to the chart string that those costs would normally be charged to. For these types of expenses, departments and divisions should use best efforts to identify the expenses or lost revenues attributable to COVID-19 during their Q3 projections. Examples of things that should not be charged to the above activities/subactivities include:
- Overtime costs for employees required because other team members are sick
- Supplies such as hand sanitizers that a department decides to purchase
- Items needed for operation of business continuity plans (laptops, etc.)
If you have questions about whether it is appropriate to use the established COVID-19 activity/subactivity values, please contact Dianne Ingalls.